Home

Page 1 of 1

East Lothian Foray
Reply with quote   Download Post 
Post East Lothian Foray 

Headed to Ferny Ness on Friday.
Immediately, I noticed there were loads of Gannets off Craigielaw Point. There were 4-500 of them all diving into the water. As I was watching them, two dark menacing shapes passed just behind them. Two Arctic Skuas, who didn't look best pleased to see each other. What a great start!
For the next hour, there were Arctics bombing around everwhere out there. When they weren't fighting with each other they were harassing the local terns (both Sandwich and Arctic). A couple of Arctics came right into the bay, one light phase one dark phase.
I then noticed another skua heading east, but closer examination showed that it was a Bonxie. It carried on east and disappeared round Craigielaw. As I tracked another Arctic going east, another skua passed above it going west. I got the scope on it as it climbed and saw right away that it was a Pomarine (its slow, bouncy flight and markings) confirmed it . It kept climbing and eventually disappeared into the clouds. It obviously only had eyes on heading across to the west coast!
Shortly after this, another Bonxie headed west just above the surface of the water. Can't be sure but this could have been the earlier one heading back.
A local came down, having seen my tweets, and got straight onto the Arctics. He was well chuffed. A Red-Necked Grebe then popped up in front of us briefly and we called it a day.

Bluebill Send private message
Back to topPage bottom