Home

Page 3 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Callander Meadows & The Crags
Reply with quote   Download Post  
Post Re: Callander Meadows & The Crags 

I'd read something in Birdwatch or BBC Wildlife magazine, but it was in relation to continental migrants coming over, with their dodgy guttural accents.  

Makes sense, I suppose.

Green Sandpiper Send private message
Back to topPage bottom

The first of the new seasons 'sprogs' are making their debut appearance over on the meadows. Saw a Ms. Goosander with five little quacklings in tow this evening, also a family of newly fledged Pied Wagtails along with one of their parents.

Michael-D Send private message
Back to topPage bottom

Normally the Meadows is dominated by Mallard and a few (mostly Black Headed) gulls. But right now it appears to be completely overrun by dozens of immature LBB's. Even the resident Mute swans are absent.

BTW. Where is everybody?

Back to topPage bottom

Hi Michael,

my birding always hits a lull in june/ july, dunno why, but I tend not to get out much.  Doesn't help that any time I have been out its been awfully quiet and unnoteworthy.

Going to Cornwall next month, so prospect of better birding there.  By the time i come back, with any luck we'll have waders on the move.

Back to topPage bottom

Family bereavement in my case Michael. I've managed a few hours up at my local patch, but that's been it.

DG Send private message
Back to topPage bottom

Things starting to go quiet now birds especially ducks etc starting their moult, some Warbler,s still chirping away holding territory. Also with leaves now fully out on trees it's harder to see woodland birds.  Was at Balloch today looking for Mandarin Ducks but no joy should have went for the one at Callander or Gartmore Dam.  Did get Tree Creeper, Robin and one juvenile, Willow Warb, Chiffchaff (heard only), Song Thrush, Blackbird, Mallard, Coot, possible Nuthatch (heard only) Grey Wags with young, a single female or juvenile Goosander usual Corvids and a far away soaring Buzzard.   Was thinking of going for Dragonflies and Damsels but weather has not been great for them, have had very few Bumble Bees in the garden as yet but hope for some warmer/calmer weather to bring them out.  Macrude.

Macrude Send private message
Back to topPage bottom

The Blackbirds and Song thrushes seem to sing with such incredible intensity here. And we seem to have wall to wall chaffinches atm. Blackcaps and Willow warblers abound too.

Was over your way today guys. Saw signs to Uddington, on my way to 'The Range' to have a nose and a poke about. An amazing store but I was disappointed with their wine making stock!

Back to topPage bottom

We had a GSW cavorting around the meadows this evening. Going from tree to tree. I even thought I heard a Green woodpecker as well. Not sure. Only heard a couple of cackles. Not enough to confirm

Back to topPage bottom

Todays tick was a Reed Bunting over on the meadows. Once again, no biggy. I've seen them before but don't think I've heard them sing. This flummoxed me for a while as I didn't recognise the song and couldn't see the bird anyway. Today I was lucky.

Back to topPage bottom

i'd never discount a reed bunting- they're strugging in a lot of places and are in danger of becoming pretty localised.

Back to topPage bottom

It's become a daily habit of mine, to get around the Meadows at least once a day. Last night, when TV got a bit boring and as it was still broad daylight, I slipped out at 9.30pm. It was a tad moist out there so I only saw 3 people, the whole time I was out!. But one thing I did hear.....drum roll.....was a Grasshopper Warbler.
Once again, Im not sure how common they are up here. Down in Dorset, in boarding school I used to hear them all day and most of the night. So it was a familiar sound. It was some way away, on the other side of the river, so I never got to see it.

Back to topPage bottom

Gropper is always a good 'un.  

I wouldn't say tey're common or anything, but there seems to be a few places they can be relied upon each year.- Cathkin Marsh being one.

Back to topPage bottom

Today's tick over on the Meadows were 4 Bullfinches flitting about at ground level between the bushes and shrubs. I still hear several Reed Buntings everyday.

Back to topPage bottom

Really weird! It's only mid July but already all of the warblers are totally silent, over on the meadows. In past years I have heard them still singing in early October! Just not the same without them.

Back to topPage bottom

they've gone silent near my house, where three weeks or so ago I could hear whitethroat, blackcap, willow warbler and chiffchaff.  Its July, so I'm assuming they're moulting and have gone all skulky and secretive.

Back to topPage bottom

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next