Home

Page 1 of 1

NEW OPTICS
Reply with quote   Download Post  
Post NEW OPTICS 

Hi all  the little man in the red suit visited me early this year bringing 8 X 42 swaros and the 25- 50 wide angled zoom eyepiece for scope, the binos are excellent but the  zoom lens results were to say the least awesome. tested them at Guardbridge  with tide out and not a great deal about. heron, curlew, whimbrel, red shanks, lapwing, crow, grey plover, shell duck, oyster catcher, chaffinch, lesser black backed gull,magpie, black headed gull, mallard, teal, widgeon,. golden plover, golden eye, tree sparrow, greenfinch, great tit, cormorant, wood pigeon and little grebe.
then it was onto Letham pools not a lot about here , but large areas of pools iced over
did managed to see wood pigeon, golden eye, mute swan, mallard, tufted duck, teal,  widgeon, black headed gull, heron, herring gull, common gull, crow, and lesser black backed gull.

boss chick unhappy as i have organised a  trip along the  north shore of the River Forth tomorrow, to try new optics out on sea watching

the eagle

wildfire Send private message
Back to topPage bottom
Post Re: NEW OPTICS 

hi all was out today again playing with new optics and doing a bit of digi scoping, a lot of problems with 25-50 zoom eyepiece but after a few hours was achieving some  success, still a long way to go:
started of at Letham pools , water levels very high with a lot of the pools iced over, nothing out of the norm about, other than  a few fieldfares and a few redwing. had a lot of practice  digi scoping. then i went onto the wilderness, there are two prominent pool the water level in the east pool was extremely low whereas the water level in the west on was quite high. a few whooper, teal, lapwing, mallard, widgeon and gadwall. i also had a fly over of in excess of 1000 pinkfeet flying northwards.
i then visited Angle park, water levels were extremely low and there was a large concentration of mixed gull (1000 ). again nothing out of the norm, whooper, mute swans, gadwall, widgeon, mallard, coot, little grebe , golden eye, tufted duck.

i have over today's digi scoping realized it is better to have the 25-50 zoom in between 35-45 magnification to get the best results and also have the sun behind me.

the eagle

Back to topPage bottom

Hi Eagle

Glad you like the new optics, you must have been a good boy this year cos' Santa has been very good to you.

I've been offline for a while as I've had 'ticker problems' and have been in hospital a couple of times. Problem has pretty much been identified and I'm now on medication. It is some kind of electrical problem causing the heart to misfire but they are confident the 'meds' will keep it under control.

Managed out for a few hours on Sunday down to East Lothian and got a good selection of sea ducks, grebes and divers so that was good. It was a supervised trip with Mrs B (she is a birder as well) and it went well with no after-effects!

Looking forward to getting out again in the near future.

Hope all is well with you.

Bluebill Send private message
Back to topPage bottom

Bluebill sorry to hear about health problems , i had my  aortic valve replaced 2 years  past May and the difference is like night and day. no puffing and advised that walking was the best exercise, i therefore walk a bit on Monday, and Wednesday but commit Tuesday and Thursday to walking days and put in on average about 4/6 each day.
To justify buying the new optics i have informed the boss chick i will have to be out 3/4 a week birding, needless to say  statement went down like a lead balloon.
hoping to get out and about tomorrow, tide times are against me so will have to be some inland areas, might have a trip along to Kilminnig and Denton wood, ideal place for  fish and chips for lunch at the Anstruther  chippie????
seems like a lot of the regulars who used the site in the past and made it such a font for advice and tips , appear to have  deserted the site.

PS hope the medication does the trick for you

the eagle

Back to topPage bottom

hi all was out today again trying out 25-50  zoom eye piece, not the best light conditions but realize  must keep the magnification low. Started off at Kirkgate on Loch Leven, strong winds and rain blowing through did not make for good birding, but hey ho one must persevere,  a fair bit about but nothing out of the norm, whooper swans, mute swans, mallard,tufted duck gadwall, widgeon , moorhen , coot pochard, buzzard, black bird, fieldfare, redwing,golden eye, tree sparrow, house sparrow, yellow hammer, great spotted wood pecker, pheasant.
i then walked onto Burleigh sands which is on the north side of the loch, much the same here as was at the Kirkgate with the exception of a kingfisher at the bridge.
i decided to go to Angle park as i had a hint  there was a glaucous gull  there or there about, there was a multitude of gull of various size, shape and colour but sadly didn't get the glaucous.
By this time being cold and in need of  a hot drink decided to stop at the Bridgend garden centre which is on the Kirkcaldy--Dundee road at Freuchie grid NO289069, had a bacon roll , but there is quite an extensive breakfast/lunch menu and very reasonably priced. worth a visit if one is in the area

the eagle

Back to topPage bottom